An Owl's 2 hoots

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Google

Any sincere blogger would include a post about google at some point or other. I am no different.

Google's email service - Gmail broke all barriers when they announced their 1GB space for gmail users. This led to a mad scramble for giving more space by other webmail services like Yahoo! and MSN Hotmail. Try as they might, they could not match Google's magic number. I guess Rediffmail offered a similar space service, but I am conveniently ignoring that fact for reasons I am not going to mention. Yahoo increased the space to 250MB and so did Hotmail (although it is restricted only to the 50 continental states of US). I also read somewhere that users were changing their profiles to a US address (atleast, the zip code should match). Not to be undone by the competition, Google announced that there would be a continual increase of email space for users. True to their word, the magic of number crunching has now brought the space to a whopping 2GB, (at this very instant, the limit is 2171.759757). Seems like when they mentioned G (in gmail) stands for Growth, they meant it. Truly way beyond their competitors.

But, I don't think anyone is going to use up even 1GB of their allotted space. Even if they keep their spams. Contrary to the popular belief, where one imagines dozens of google engineers running with hard disks, SANs, across the server rooms, it could very well be a different picture. Since no one is EVER going to use up so much space, nothing is going to hurt by having a counter that has numbers whizzing. Something like a big bank. The scenario that ALL their customers are going to withdraw their money at the SAME time is very unlikely. So, similarly, google MAY have a whopping amount of memory, which they could have defragmented using a "proprietary algorithm" and would have simply enforced a sharing scheme for all the users. Something very similar to virtual memory of a computer. So, even if there is a case where some person manages to use up 1 GB (google's true limit, say), and wants to use more memory, google can simply take a chunk from a pathetic user's account (like mine) and give it for that greedy guy. So folks, this could very well be the case. Just like a bank. However, having said that, it is not easy to develop such a complex scheme for potentially millions of users. Google definitely has revolutionized the concepts of searching, sorting and now email.

I have this thought in my mind (although, I am sure several people would have thought of the same). Would'nt it be a better idea to allow the users to make use of the remaining space for their own needs?. When I was a Master's student, the university allots 200 MB (say) as my personal space. My university email, web space and a shared drive ALL would be encompassed in that 200 MB limit. I can use all 200 MB for my email, or all 200 MB for my university web page (in which case, I have to correspond to my advisor using yahoo, or have a forwarding scheme in place). This scheme worked fairly well, although there were times when I wanted to post some pictures on my webpage, I had to delete some files. I am sure a lot of us have pictures, videos, etc to share. So, if you have already taken over Searching and Email, why not go ahead with web space too?. Go on, go for the throat.

Even as I am typing this, I came across this:
An enterprising guy by name - Richard Jones has written a mountable Linux File system (using Python, a popular scripting language) using Gmail's space. The actual application can be downloaded from here, although they ask us to be "gentle" with the code. It seems that Google frequently "blocks" the application, since the space is always changing (that is the explanation given by the authors, but I think Google is simply blocking them).

There was an article written some time back, where Google supposedly mentions that it wants to revolutionize the concept of Personal computing, where you don't need Windows (yay!) and Office (yaay!!). All you need is a browser and an internet connection. All the applications would be web-based. Essentially, the desktop itself would be replaced by a browser window. If you need to type a letter in Word, you would use Google's GWord (ok, ok, they can come up with better names than that) and save it to your cyber-drive. I think that would be amazing, although it would be fine-dining for hackers and such. But considering it is Google, they would have already come up with a tool called GoogleGaalli (hee hee) which can destroy all possible strains of viruses, spyware - past, present and future too.

Anyway....

I am sure Google would be coming up with a better way to utilize the unused space (if there is something called "unused space"!!).

PS: lies, lies... space increased to 2171.849265 MB. lies, lies...

9 Comments:

  • "Any sincere blogger would include a post about google at some point or other. I am no different...."

    well by that rationale, I dont qualify as a sincere blogger, but who am I to complain.

    Anyways I totally agree with you on the MYTH of everyone actually being allocated 1 or 2 or possibly how many ever GB of space google claims to allows us to have. I've been using GMAIL for almost a year and i have used about 1 mb of space without even deleting any emails (not to mention all the sent emails that are lying in my sent mail folder). And its not like I dont get any mail at all (ok its not like I get hordes of mail but above average i would guess). So when Google shows a ticker with numbers clocking its just for show - an eye wash. But like i said who am I to complain, its not like they have taken anything away from us -only from ppl like yahoo and microsoft - and kudos to that.

    By Blogger ///slash\\\, at May 08, 2005 12:19 PM  

  • you have already used up 1 GB?? seems like u reply to spam too!
    maybe hotmail took gmail's 2 GB literally - poor guys..
    all they need is a counter running on their website

    By Blogger tt_giant, at May 08, 2005 3:43 PM  

  • i think he said 1 mb not 1 gb. i think my spam box has more than 1 mb. please give me ur email i will try to forward some of my spam. i really think ppl who just use up 1 mb dont have any rights to have an email address.

    i use yahoo, hotmail, excite and google, i think gmail is the best. my order of preference will be gmail, yahoo, excite and hotmail(spammail).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 10, 2005 1:26 PM  

  • Actually san's rite - i checked my quota and incidentally i have used about 63 mb. My bad.

    By Blogger ///slash\\\, at May 10, 2005 2:14 PM  

  • by the way mr deepak, how do i get to the rss feed for your blog ??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 11, 2005 6:52 AM  

  • Syndication for my blogs:

    http://ttgiant.blogspot.com/atom.xml

    By Blogger tt_giant, at May 11, 2005 9:16 AM  

  • aah.. i am sorry.. i misread it as 1GB.. thanks san..
    but u do get my drift ;-)

    By Blogger tt_giant, at May 11, 2005 9:18 AM  

  • yes i do

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 11, 2005 11:29 AM  

  • If you've read every other personal growth allen blog around the place, you'll appreciate just what tt_giant manages to put into this one. Congratulations on a job well done tt_giant - I hope you never run out of personal growth allen ideas to write about!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 20, 2005 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home