An Owl's 2 hoots

Friday, June 10, 2005

Sacre BLUE!

I am a vegetarian and pretty conservative in my diet, but I think I would have tasted possibly the MOST disgusting thing ever. Blue cheese!

See, I went to this soup and sandwich place called "Panera" - a pretty cozy place for lunch - wireless internet and all - but not much choice for vegetarians. I scanned the menu for vegetarian dishes - there was one!. Garden veggie sandwich - such an innocent sounding item. I quickly glanced through the ingredients - bread, veggies, some sauce, salt and Gorgonzola Cheese. I thought, hmm.. now what could that be, in the worst case. Its just cheese. Oh, how wrong I was.

One bite, that's all it took. One bite, for me to dump it and make a mental note to tell my future kids (and grandkids) to keep off of it. Man, did it stink!

You see, Gorgonzola Cheese is also called as blue cheese, which is supposed to be a delicacy in Europe (particularly in France). Now why is it called blue?. Because of the mold and spores that grow on the cheese. THEY ACTUALLY ALLOW THE CHEESE TO ROT!!.

Here is a detailed explanation, and here are the directions to prepare it.

I respect other cultures and cuisines (veg and non-veg), but why would someone eat something which is positively rotten?

6 Comments:

  • Tu cheese badaa hai mast mast
    Tu cheese badaa hai mast mast

    :-)

    By Blogger Krish, at June 11, 2005 10:50 AM  

  • thennavan: lol..

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 11, 2005 8:58 PM  

  • I don't like Blue cheese either.
    Panera Bread is a very famous company. I think it trades in NYSE.

    I used to enjoy some sandwiches of Panera while I was on Columbus Ohio. I don't see them here.

    But then California is another extreme - Veggie, organic etc..etc.!

    Once bitten twice shy I think.

    Have you tasted ASIAGO cheese. I love it.!!

    LOL - Thennavan's kavidhai.!

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at June 11, 2005 11:19 PM  

  • Narayanan: You too eh? So, its just not me then!. I was asking my co-worker, and he said the blue cheese is one of the main "attractions" in a wine-and-cheese party. Maybe it is some pseudo-status symbol like caviar and champagne!.

    Asiago.. did you try it in Panera?

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 12, 2005 7:17 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at June 12, 2005 4:24 PM  

  • I didn't try it in Panera, but in some restaurants here in SF Bay area.

    I've blogrolled you. Hope it is ok.

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at June 12, 2005 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home