An Owl's 2 hoots

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Hypocrisy at its best

We see hypocrisy every day - it is a way of life. Take for instance, driving. Anyone driving lesser than (y)our current speed is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a crazy guy. Of course, there is the simple fact that all 3 kinds of people are driving faster than the speed limit. So, we all do it. We are not perfect. Similarly, there are several other hypocrisies.

But I recently found that this one walks with the gold: Smoking-is-such-a-nasty-habit-i-don't-know-why-people-smoke-i-don't-smoke-but-i-think-drinking-is-ok. I had the oppurtunity to see some people berating a smoker while all were drinking. I neither drink nor smoke, which would have become obvious by now.

Smoking is not ok, and drinking is fine?

What???

So, what is it they are trying to convey - "I would rather suffer from liver complications and overwork my kidneys, rather torture my lungs". Is that it?. I like my lungs more than my liver. Is that it?.

While the government is banning smoking from restaurants, public places, MOVIES(!!), it is alright if people drink and drive?. God forbid if one is sober and is driving out on Friday or Saturday nights.

"But how can that be?. I would be ostracized, pariahed from my workplace and community if I don't indulge". Also, studies have shown that drinking is good."

BS!. I would not be reading a research paper from an alcoholic scientist. I happen to work in a bio reasearch community and I have decent knowledge on how these studies work. If there is anything called "completely biased", then it HAS to be in the research field and how people interpret research results - totally biased and subjective.

I may have sounded preachy, but I could not help it when this particular hypocritic barrage was flowing from their mouths, complete with the reek of alcohol.

Personally I have no problems with drinkers as long as things do not get, well, personal.

Which also brings me to another (unrelated) topic. Why is there so much forced socializing?.

14 Comments:

  • San: hypocrat.. now thats a new one.

    "...lungs... but also damage others who are around you ... "

    Oh, so considerate of people who just drink.. they are sooo concerned about air pollution and respiratory diseases. so, who cares if there are motor accidents involving innocent people? alteast, we dont have second hand smoke.

    bah!

    so, looks like you have met several matches (and lighters) in parties. intro them to me. LOL!

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 14, 2005 11:46 AM  

  • good posting ttg... i liked that sentence..."I like my lungs rather than the liver"

    By Blogger Ram C, at June 14, 2005 4:01 PM  

  • Ram: Thanks man.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 14, 2005 5:28 PM  

  • Drinking and driving is another issue.

    But IMHO difference here is the Second hand smoke.! Its a direct impact I feel.

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at June 14, 2005 5:49 PM  

  • Arch: Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Social drinking - one of the most used and abused terms. I am nobody to judge, but this is how I see it.

    1. Social drinking refers to an occasional glass of champagne or wine for celebrating an event. It can alternatively be defined as
    2. If everyone drinks, I would too. I am being social (and hypocritical). In other words, if everyone gets drunk, so would I.

    Again, who am I to judge. I tell as I see.

    So you are in the research field too eh?. Crazy isnt it?. Atleast the red-tape bureaucracy is less.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 14, 2005 5:50 PM  

  • Narayanan: i agree that air pollution and respiratory complications are more serious. but we are comparing a kilo of anthrax to 2 kilos of anthrax. both are anthrax, unfortunately.

    oh dear, I am sure to be blacklisted by the CIA for mentioning anthrax.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 14, 2005 5:53 PM  

  • yes that's so true...i occationally drink,but dont smoke...but i drink out of my own free will and not 2 fit in a group...lot of people do a lot of things just due 2 pier pressure...

    By Blogger Siddharth, at June 14, 2005 5:54 PM  

  • Siddarth: Thanks for coming to my page. I agree with you. Free will, as long as it doesnt make others write their wills. (ok ok, that was a real bad try).

    peer pressure: pretty simple to overcome it. get one's head out their behind and think for themselves.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 14, 2005 5:59 PM  

  • peer pressure forces people to pick up tat first glass of alcohol or lite the first ciggie,then they become addicted, giving up occurs only after a few years and only either, meaning since ive given up smoking drinking and being a alcoholic is fine. and the issue of second hand smoke is there.
    there are people like me who will try both, only to give up later. i wanted to c wat creates this halo around both smoking and drinking, so ttried both and then decided to give up both.

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at June 15, 2005 4:18 AM  

  • srivatsan: thanks for visiting my page. appreciate what you have done. it takes a lot of mental strength to do what you have done.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 15, 2005 6:02 AM  

  • Naanum adhey katchi thaan - no smoking and drinking, but we are increasingly in the minority. Hey, I have an idea. Since minorities enjoy all kinds of concessions, maybe we should also approach the government for some sops :-)

    By Blogger Krish, at June 15, 2005 3:48 PM  

  • Thennavan: dying breed eh?. This reminds me of a statement made by Darren Lehman (of the australian cricket team). this guy has been around for a long time now, and the selectors wanted to axe him. Under that circumstances, in an interview, he said - "Following Merv Hughes, David boon, I am the last of a kind". Dacid boon had an unofficial record of consuming 58 beers in a flight from Aus to England for the Ashes. Inverse minority in sports!!

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 15, 2005 6:32 PM  

  • if you had the indian government in mind when you wrote this, then I have news for you.

    1) in the Wall Street journal issue dated tuesday june 14th, there was an article about why the indian beer market was not big (indians gulp more Whiskey than beer, and SABMiller is wondering how to get the Beer number up -- now I have your undivided attention right?)

    2) The indian government had long maintained that there will be no public display of ads in print and other media like television.

    It is because of (2) that when they want to advertise Haywards 2000, they advertise Haywards club soda....thats why they put up the Bagpiper club soda ad.....the article goes to explore the ways by which SAB miller will be expanding Beer's reach in India by such "admissible" ads..

    coming to the point...I agree with you that the enforcement wing is screwed up in india -- they gulp whiskey so how the heck can they punish the rambunctious idiots who screw up your evening in a calm place....but the legislative wing on this one aspect was correct from day one....

    remember what pattukottai said -- "thirudanaaga paarthu thirundhaa vittaaal thiruttai ozhikka mudiyaathu"... (if the thief does not give up thievery, then you cannot eradicate theft)

    By Blogger Ganesh Venkittu, at June 16, 2005 8:09 AM  

  • Ganesh: Although I did not have the Indian Govt. in mind in particular, (I was much loftier in my thoughts. just kidding) your comment made me think.

    so, if the govt. okays the screening of haywards club soda, did the sale of the soda go up? or were people intelligent enough to know that "aah.. these guys were referring to the beer, not the soda". :-)

    regarding the quote by pattuko ttai - though true, it is kind of unfair. the victims would continue to suffer from the actions of the thief until the whims and fancies of the thief changes or if the (slow and )long arm of the law acts.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at June 16, 2005 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home