An Owl's 2 hoots

Friday, November 18, 2005

Ikkarai and Akkarai

Am Back! - after an enjoyable and eventful 27 days in India!

It was so good to be there and see folks, near and dear, after 3 years. As everyone else would agree, no amount of holidays is enough for an India trip. I think I had made good use of whatever time I had there.

Much as I don't prefer to compare things, I write this post as an exception, just for amusement.

1. In the US, people have their cell phones in their pocket or on their belt. In India, it is difficult to see a hand without a cell phone. Mostly, the right hand carries it. Just so, when a call comes, the right would give it to the left, thusly flashing the model of cell phone one carries!.

School pora pasangalukku yedhuku cell phone?

2. Manual transmissions must be bannned from Indian roads. What is the point in having 4+ gears and not going beyond the 2nd. Correspondingly, automatic transmissions must be banned from the US. Better driving conditions, better drive feel and better fuel economy.

3. Public transport in India is unbeatable, although the autos have completely ceased to use the meter. The new BG electric trains are fantastic. In the US, I would have gone bankrupt if I had taken a cab from Tampa airport to Sarasota.

4. And the food and restaurants in India!. For a thavichcha vaai like me, that is one good enough reason to feel the grass is greener there.

5. REAL temples exist in India. Not the ones like in Tampa, where ALL gods reside under one roof.

6. When I was(!) young, I played TV video games. The next(!!) generation played computer games. Now(!!!), kids wield alien looking PS2s like pencils.

7. Beaches: for the ambience and sheer enjoyment, Elliots beach is the best. For the actual water experience - well, that is a different story.

8. In the US, one is either fat, overweight or obese. In India, if you don't have a tummy, you are thin, and if you have one, you are fat. But seriously, I saw that there are still misconceptions about health consciousness. Prime example: "sambhar kaarama irukka?. Innum konjam ghee pottuko". Kaarama irundhaa thanni kudi.. ghee yedhukku?.

9. If you use a dial-up service for browsing in India, you should consider yourself to be lucky to get a pop-up window.

10. It is funny, but one major thing that I missed in India was a dry bathroom!.

11. Houses in India are always full of life. When I reached my apartment last night, I was greeted with defeaning silence.

Thats it for now. I am beat.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

  • Welcome back, Deepak.. Glad to know that you had a good trip to India..
    Naalaikku kaalaiyile ezhundhirikkumbodhu oru maathiriya irukkum..

    On ur post
    1) Life is in cells-ngiradhai thappa purinjikittanga

    2) LOL on 'Only 2nd gear'.. adhuvey periya vishayam

    3) Madras < Bangalore < Mumbai in autorickshaw facility and fare.

    4) mmm.. oru vettu vettiyiruppeenga..

    5) Tampa-le irukkira temples-ey periya vishayam.. BTW, recently built temples in North India are also like that..

    8) LOL on 'Ghee for kaaram'.. suda suda vendaikka sambhar saappidumbodhu konjam karam thookkala irundhu ghee mix panna.. ada ada .. Thanneer ellam out..

    Another thing you would have noticed is, people walk on the right side, even in offices/corridors/open spaces here in US, whereas in the left side in India..

    I was thinking you would be arriving on Sunday/Monday.. Good you are here on friday.. you can get ur jetlag done with before work on Monday..

    By Blogger Raju, at November 18, 2005 3:44 PM  

  • Welcome back..
    Nice comparisions..Cool ones !!

    Pt.10..cud be coz its 2 in 1 here ?!

    By Blogger Adaengappa !!, at November 18, 2005 6:45 PM  

  • nice to know that u had a great trip... i completely agree with 1,6,7,11 but others depend on how u see it :-)...

    By Blogger NaiKutti, at November 18, 2005 11:56 PM  

  • Raju: Thanks man. I chose to come back on thursday so I can work only a little bit on friday and unwind for the weekend.

    No great changes here since I left.

    India trips are like a big tease - the home experience, meeting relatives, friends seem so innocent when you are in India, but after you come back, separation hits hard.

    --..--..--

    Prabhu: LOL!, I agree!!!.

    --..--..--

    Naikutti: Thanks!. Points 1 thru 10 are just for fun.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 19, 2005 5:33 AM  

  • Welcome back to the US Deepak, we hear ya, we hear ya :-) (esp. the "temple" bit and I know you went to Srirangam as you told me in the previous post and the last point).

    By Blogger Krish, at November 19, 2005 8:49 AM  

  • From your comparisons I see that you are really looking forward to your next trip. But the next one could have suprises..u know like meeting someone and making committments ;) (I am assuming that there were none this time)

    By Blogger Maverick, at November 19, 2005 9:48 AM  

  • Thennavan: Apologies for not visiting your blog for a long long time!.

    I guess it is too early for me to say "its good to be back to US".

    --..--..--

    Maverick: Yep. You got that right. Wish we could have spent some more time.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 19, 2005 10:20 AM  

  • Welcome back! Enna jetlag-ellam poyaccha?

    Yes, cell phone technology is fully utilised by our janta only! My brother would either be talking on the phone or sms-ing or if hands are engaged talking using handsfree(Ennoda pesa edhu neram!!)

    8) LOL! Reminded me of "Hyderabad blues"!!!

    By Blogger Me too, at November 19, 2005 6:26 PM  

  • welcome bc,
    cell patthi correct dhaan,

    cell phone isnt mere communication too, its ascene potifying tool

    n u missed the trafic blues, order in chaos here, angai lack of order causes chaos.

    hey wit regards to speeds i disaagree apporam wat will roadrashers like me do eh?

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at November 20, 2005 1:29 AM  

  • Aparna: Thanks!. Jet lag was not as bad as I expected. Konjam cough and cold irukku. Otherwise I am fine.

    --..--..--

    Vatsan: 2 wheelers kellam problem ey illa. takku nu poidalaam. Car dhaan problem.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 20, 2005 6:57 AM  

  • "10. It is funny, but one major thing that I missed in India was a dry bathroom!."

    hmmm...
    Is that the only thing you missed in the bathrooms or was that the only thing you missed in the bathroom that was funny????

    By Blogger ///slash\\\, at November 21, 2005 5:54 AM  

  • Schoolkku pora pasangalukku phone edhukku - For mum's like me to keep an eye on them at all times I suppose :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at November 21, 2005 7:03 AM  

  • Murali: Thanks!

    --..--..--

    Slash: hehe. nothing funny about a dry bathroom.

    --..--..--

    Wicked: appo, naamellam school pogum bodhu enna panninom?.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 22, 2005 5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home