An Owl's 2 hoots

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Yes, I am still alive

Apologies for my silence all the while and belated Deepavali wishes.

I am posting from my home at Madras now. It's great to be back (coming home after almost 3 years). I intended to post earlier, if things had gone according to plan, but considering that it concerns a certain ME, fate always takes an exception!. I notice a lot of changes here. Innumerable, in fact. I am trying my level best to suck in as much of India I can!.

So, here I go in my "usual" way of re-telling:

1. Was watching Wilma's movements every 30 minutes until the plane actually took off from Tampa airport.

2. Did not have to shop a lot this time, so the luggage was extremely light.

3. Major airports in the US are cursed. Let me correct it - they are cursed when I am around. The connection flight to Dubai was delayed by 1 hour and as luck would have it, my transit time in Dubai was 1 hour. Glorious, isn't it?.

4. But thanks to favoUrable tail winds, we reached in time. Almost there!.

5. Another 4 hour flight and I was kissing the grounds of Madras (not really, it was raining and was wet). Was too excited to sleep that day (jet lag would hit me hard later anyway).

7. And boy!, did it rain. Record rains in Madras!. I had to answer embarrasingly cliched questions like "did you bring wilma from Florida". Although I have to admit that I enjoyed this particular aspect of comparing storms in USA and India.

8. Realized how packed agendas are and how true stereotypical situations are in an India trip. Went for shopping the same day in T.Nagar.

9. Experienced the fright of driving in the streets here. Last time when I visited, I had not started driving in the US, so driving in India was easy. This time, I closed my eyes tightly as my brother drove his car. I must have been the only person (passenger or driver) who wore a seat belt. I think Automatic transmissions would be of more use in India than in USA.

10. October 26th, 2005 - indha naal, yen vaazhkaiyil marakamudiyaadha naal. My H1B visa interview date. The interview was at 10:15 AM and it was raining that morning. I reached there 1 hour early and saw that people with appointments at 12 PM were in front of me. Gulping and panting excessively, I somehow managed to get past them all and went inside. Only to see that it was just the beginning. Two more queues later, I was in the "next" building.

H1B applicants are a miserable lot. The order of preference for the counter is B1, B2, L1, L2, H4, 5B, 18K, auto, rickshaw and then H1B. The last possible category. Paridhaabam.

I went through the fingerprinting procedure and was asked to wait for some more time. Time was 11:30 by then. When it was finally my turn, I was supremely confident (after seeing other candidates' situation - ivanukkey kadachithu!). I mentioned my job title, description, kulam, gothram, etc. Insincere plastic smiles were flashed on both sides of the counter. Almost there!. But recall that the subject under study is a certain ME. "Please wait, I will be back in a minute". Maybe she has gone for a glass of water. Paavum.. day fulla yethana peroda pesaraa. Oh no, no sir!. There she came, with a blue form. "aah.. umm. actually, you seem to have some kind of injury in your right index finger. please come back again after it heals, thanks! * insert plastic smile here*.

Bulb!

I guess I was in a state of shock all the way till home - seemingly I had come by an auto by myself and told directions to the driver, but don't recall any of that happening. Worst thing was, initially, my folks refused to believe me and thought I was joking!.

I was staring at the culprit finger which had flipped me off.

Several conspiracy theories sprung to my mind and I was desperately trying to find the cause of the problem. Finally, we decided that this is one situation where treating the symptoms is better than finding and eliminating the cause. Dermatologist - prescription - dosage - 1 week. One silver lining was that the dermatologist said he has seen 2-3 cases (USCIS bulbs on account of finger) previously, so there was a history. The cause? - liquid soap removed the oil layer.

11. I spent the next 6 days like an ascetic - very careful with what I did using my hands (now, now!). I meant, no playing cricket, eating with 3 fingers, minimal crackers for Deepavali, etc. Of course, the medication, creams and the lot. I felt like Sharukh Khan in the lux ad. By the way, SRK has now become a full time ad film actor. No more movies?.

12. Today, I went to the consulate again, and this time, fate favored me. The visa officer said "did'nt you come last week?. Are you sure that the finger would have healed by now?". I think I blabbered yes. "ok, lets try!". And it did!. After a minute or so of questioning, I was through!.

13. It was unearthly when I came out - pouring rain. My documents!. I was stuck for sometime outside the consulate doors due to the rain.

14. Oh, and by the way, the sentries outside the consulate typically earn around 5000 Rs everyday. Successful visa holders are preyed easily on account of the silly grin in their faces. I am not an exception.

15. To top a great day, India wins the ODI series!.

So, that is what I was upto till now. I have been telling myself that this India trip would be a trip of revelations to me. I don't know if that would be the case, but it certainly bolstered my opinion that life is too complex to vainly simplify it.

PS: Met some relatives, a few friends, including my best friend who had come from Dubai.

Last night (before my visa interview), I went to re-live the Indian Movie watching experience.

Udhayam theatre - Sivakasi - housefull - black - 70 is 120 - horrible - i am half deaf now.

Labels: ,

29 Comments:

  • Enjoy it while it lasts Deepak :-) (expecting more of your Madrasi Musings).

    By Blogger Krish, at November 03, 2005 7:49 AM  

  • A belated Happy Diwali to you too deepak... Definitely best time of the year to visit Chennai, rains or not! Very amusing trip report... As Mukundan said, waiting for more experiences :)

    By Blogger Balaji, at November 03, 2005 1:17 PM  

  • Very Very interesting indeed. LOL :) on the line for h1b ( auto rickshaw..!! etc.)

    I was shocked to read this..
    Is this true?? Why would people have to bribe these guys.!!


    Oh, and by the way, the sentries outside the consulate typically earn around 5000 Rs everyday. Successful visa holders are preyed easily on account of the silly grin in their faces. I am not an exception.

    Stay Healthy.!! Take care. Enjoy your vacation.!! And start using that finger.!!

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at November 03, 2005 2:49 PM  

  • Now I get the picture as to why you could not recount ur experience on the phone :)

    By Blogger Maverick, at November 03, 2005 8:41 PM  

  • good to know that u r alive and kicking... have fun for the rest of ur stay in madras...

    By Blogger NaiKutti, at November 03, 2005 10:06 PM  

  • Good to know that you have got your visa, atlast.. Nice description of events.. Now, forget everything that happened so far and just have fun!! Cheers..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 04, 2005 8:47 AM  

  • Deepak: First of all, Belated Diwali wishes to you. Really interesting report on Chennai and your trip. Must have been relieving to get your visa, enjoy the rest of the trip and take in the changes.

    Really miss Udayam theatre-have seen most of the movies after cutting classes there, athuvum black le mostly ticket vangi thaan.

    Ensoy!!!

    By Blogger mitr_bayarea, at November 04, 2005 9:04 AM  

  • India trip-na summava(light luggage-nnu vera peethikiteengalle!)! But really!Rains in Chennai, wins by Indian cricketers!!
    "I spent the next 6 days like an ascetic - very careful with what I did using my hands (now, now!)." LOL!! As it is people would be waiting to comment about (y)our every habit! Have a great time!

    By Blogger Me too, at November 04, 2005 11:52 AM  

  • Thennavan: Sure will post. BTW, I just returned from Srirangam trip (remember my comment in your post?). Man!. Amazing temple!. I never knrw there were so many interesting things to see inside.

    --..--..--

    Balaji: Thanks!. Next time I will break it into smaller posts. The last one was pretty long..

    --..--..--

    Narayanan: he he... finger(s) are back in form now.

    yea.. lanjam thalai virithu aadudhu.. not only here... almost all temples i have been till now.

    even then, so many changes.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 04, 2005 6:53 PM  

  • Murali: Thanks!. Will be seeing more in the coming days.

    --..--..--

    Maverick: he he.. adhey!. we will meet today then. now, do we really need rains again?.

    --..--..--

    Naikutti: Thanks!. I sure will!!.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 04, 2005 6:55 PM  

  • Raju: Man!. I am glad too!. SO how are things for you in Florida?. Its been ages since I visited fellow bloggers' pages. Will start doing it..:-)

    --..--..--

    Mitr: Thanks!!. so you are a regular at Udhayam?.

    my friend had to leave to dubai, so we both wanted to see a new release before he left. padam worst thaan.. aana, company dhaana mukkiyam.

    --..--..--

    Aparna: hehe!. everythig is good, except for this never-ending rain!. Take care.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 04, 2005 6:59 PM  

  • driving in madras can be a headache, seri apporam sivakasi counterlaya tickets r avaliable, ela padam flop

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at November 04, 2005 7:04 PM  

  • hehehee seriously yd u take wilma back with ya? ;p ehhehehe couldn't resist asking

    dear god the visa thing sounds like a nightmare!

    Have a nice chennai trip ;) n glad ure ok after watching wilma ;)

    By Blogger Visithra, at November 04, 2005 8:41 PM  

  • Deepak, I miss you too, man.. I heard that Wilma affected south Florida quite a bit. Many places dont have power till now. I guess Naples was worst affected and Cape coral too, to some extent. Sarasota is back to normalcy now.

    BTW, one more depression looming nwo in BoB, right? Take care..

    When I used to visit Chennai from Bangalore, it would rain invariably to make everyone ask "Did you bring rain from Bangalore? Visit here often".. :-) In your case, it was just too much rain, huh? :)

    By Blogger Raju, at November 05, 2005 9:19 AM  

  • Vatsan: i think both sivakasi and maja are average releases.

    --..--..--

    vee-jay: what to do!. my friend wanted to see some new movie. and that was the only show possible (and was close by too).

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 05, 2005 7:25 PM  

  • Visithra: even yesterday 2 people asked me the same question!.

    but seriously, i have seen enough rains. already one of my trips (within india) has been cancelled due to rain.

    --..--..--

    Raju: i cant believe myself saying this, but I am actually looking forward for winter in florida - safe and calm.

    i asked my colleague to look after my car (parked outside!) and apartment. he said luckily there was no damage done.

    another depression in bay of bengal - inniki pondy trip poirukanum.. cancel..

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 05, 2005 7:29 PM  

  • dei...
    so you did not actually go to pondy today.....
    and you actually think sivakasi is an average release????
    hmmm...

    By Blogger ///slash\\\, at November 06, 2005 5:53 AM  

  • slash: unfortunately, there were no boat services to pondy from madras.

    average hits - oru peychu ku sonnen!.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 06, 2005 9:14 AM  

  • H1B getting postponed due to index finger injury... since, I am new to all these procedures and hypes behind this H1B, it looked strange to me...

    anyhow, Congrats for achieiving in your mission..

    By Blogger Ram C, at November 06, 2005 6:40 PM  

  • Deepak,
    Nice to know you are enjoying time in India. Have all the fun while you are there. Good to hear from you after a long time. And oh don't bring the rain to Florida when u return :-) Its already getting tormented like anything.

    By Blogger Kasthuri, at November 07, 2005 9:13 AM  

  • Thats Interesting, Deepak !!

    Congrats on that STAMP !!

    By Blogger Adaengappa !!, at November 08, 2005 5:51 AM  

  • bale ttg bale..

    eppidio, visa vandhuduththu.. that is what matters..

    :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at November 08, 2005 3:39 PM  

  • unga anaivarinn blog ku varaadhadhaikku mannikavum.. inga samma busy...i wanted to meet up with a few fellow bloggers here.. now i think even that is not possible..


    Ram: ellam samma hype. but namma veyla aaganumey!.

    --..--..--

    Srini: inga rain aalaye nariya plans cancel aaiduthu.. FL should be good now..

    --..--..--

    Prabhu: Thanks!.

    --..--..--

    Sundar: Congrats again on the baby!. got your mail.

    --..--..--

    Kalai: There is no such rule. rest assured!. but as far as i have seen, desis get their stamp by 1 year of issue. difference between nambikkai and mooda nambikkai!.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 10, 2005 11:18 PM  

  • Enjoyed well?

    By Blogger Devilish Angel, at November 11, 2005 3:41 AM  

  • Deepak,
    unna unga vetla meet panna oru appointment kedaikuma(before u leave)??

    Pavithra.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 11, 2005 4:04 AM  

  • Vanathi: As much as I can!.

    --..--..--

    Pavithra: Sure. drop by tomm evening if you are free.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 14, 2005 2:39 AM  

  • Its raining everywhere! Congratulations on the visa

    By Blogger Unknown, at November 15, 2005 5:41 AM  

  • congrats on ur visa!!! hav fun!!!

    By Blogger kuttichuvaru, at November 17, 2005 8:26 PM  

  • Angel: Thanks!. I am back to the US now.

    --..--..--

    Kuttichuvaru: LOL! what a name!. Thanks for the wishes!

    By Blogger tt_giant, at November 19, 2005 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home