An Owl's 2 hoots

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Instant Karma

Instant Karma may mean a cause-and-effect phenomenon (like regular karma), except that the fruits of the deeds would be realized much earlier. (Incidentally, Instant Karma is also the title of John Lennon's (Beatles fame) single.)

I had my share of instant karma yesterday.

Work at my office would be fairly divided throughout the day, but the pre-lunch session (cricket maadhiri!) was exceptionally busy and tormenting. Added to that, I was ravenously hungry all morning and was just waiting for the clock to strike 1 PM.

On reaching Tacobell, I prepared to order the usual (the order-taker knew my usual anyway) and opted to eat-in, rather than take-out. Before me, there were 2 persons (American-teenagers). Both these guys were talking (typical valley-girl accent) in their respective cell phones and simultaneously deciding what to eat. They were ordering each item with several conditions - "like, no X, no Y, like, more of Z, less of H...like, oh wait, cancel that.. what's that?.. dude!, like, the gordita is awesome...". I was cursing them mentally, thinking - "so typical of them". Finally, after 10 minutes, they decided to complete their ordering and I ordered mine.

First-in-first-out method is followed (usually) in these eateries. So, the teenagers' order comes out first - a huuge quantity. But there was no sign of them collecting it. Where were they?. They were yakking away in the cornermost corner table of the restaurant. I was already losing it. The food disperser was calling out their number, but they were just ignoring it. Here I am, with my stomach rumbling with hunger, and my order gets delayed due to the traffic jam in front of me. I was thinking: "God!, why are they like this?" - to put it lightly.

Finally, they came to pick it up. I gave them my best Glenn McGrath scowl at them. I then proceeded to take my tray of food. I was so hungry and irritated at that time, that I started walking out the door with the tray!!. I did not even realize it until I reached my car. Picture my embarrassment when I tried to put the tray on the passenger seat!.

Beet-red faced, I walked back to the restaurant, tray (with food) in hand. To add insult to injury, the teenagers shifted their sitting to a table just in front of the door. They understood my situation when I entered, and man, how they laughed!.

I think, I beat my previous record in speed-eating that day.

Instant karma!.

Labels:

23 Comments:

  • Very funny incident... sometimes we do lose our mind, without knowing what we are doing....

    By Blogger Ram C, at August 25, 2005 10:21 PM  

  • Anybody's patience can be tested when it comes to food.Even me too had that feeling. When my PL extends team meeting after 1pm I curse him like anything and donno what I speak when asked for a suggestion!!It is a biological setting for me. Irrespective of the quantity of food I take for my breakfast, I should have my lunch by 12:30 pm..

    By Blogger BoldTaurean, at August 26, 2005 2:38 AM  

  • Moral of the story: "always carry some thachchi mummum to work"

    :-)

    By Blogger Krish, at August 26, 2005 7:22 AM  

  • hmm...even though the incident was embarrasing, there is nothing to feel bad abt it. Food is one of the top most requirements in most people's lives and we slog, sweat and work for the happy meals-thatz my motto.

    I do agree that timing has a great deal to do with eating, i eat breakfast by 8 and lunch by 12-12.30 and dinner by 7-7.30.

    By Blogger mitr_bayarea, at August 26, 2005 7:47 AM  

  • Ram: all in the game

    --..--..--

    Boldtaurean: LOL at your cursing of the PL. I have trained myself to eat at 12:45 or so every day.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at August 26, 2005 9:23 AM  

  • Thennavan: :-).. so neenga daily adhaan panringala?.

    --..--..--

    Mitr: exactly!. it is after all my money i am spending, and it is only fair that i do so happily and whole-heartedly.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at August 26, 2005 9:26 AM  

  • Poor you.. Funny though.. Remembered the 'anger management' post of Keerthi..

    Instant karma is better than filter karma.. atleast saniyan ozhinjadhu-nnu nimmadhi..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 26, 2005 11:08 AM  

  • you could have sneezed real hard when you entered the door and said shit! where are my tuberculosis pills??
    watching them beat to get out wud have been more fun.

    By Blogger Maverick, at August 26, 2005 11:20 AM  

  • Funny tt. Instant Karma it is...Hunger can make us insane and my case it adds to my insanity :-)

    By Blogger Kasthuri, at August 26, 2005 11:49 AM  

  • aww...can almost pic the whole thing , but that was funny.
    I second maverick, i'd sure do somethin like that just for the heck of it!

    By Blogger .:: ROSH ::., at August 26, 2005 12:57 PM  

  • GP: hmm.. enna panradhu.. atleast it was humorous..

    --..--..--

    Maverick: That is wickedly cool!. Cha, andha maari samayathula yaen enakku ippidi thonamaatengudhu?.

    --..--..--

    Srini: pasi patthum seiyum!. tray kondu ponadhu 11 a?

    --..--..--

    Magic_lens: Will try next time and let you know if I am deported or not..;-)

    By Blogger tt_giant, at August 26, 2005 1:46 PM  

  • LOL, sorry cant help it. Yep hunger can do that to us.

    By Blogger pk, at August 26, 2005 1:53 PM  

  • Kaleidoscope: :-). pasi+kovam = paavam!

    By Blogger tt_giant, at August 26, 2005 3:16 PM  

  • very funny, pasiila moolai kolambipochu polairukku!

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at August 26, 2005 7:35 PM  

  • Does 'Instant Karma' means 'kai mel palan'??

    By Blogger Me too, at August 26, 2005 8:15 PM  

  • I feel for you man....
    I feel for you!!!!

    By Blogger ///slash\\\, at August 27, 2005 1:55 AM  

  • too funny man!again u offer an interesting insight from ur life..
    pasiyin vilaivu maradi..sleep walk madri hunger walk panerkinge deepak.

    By Blogger Siddharth, at August 27, 2005 2:30 AM  

  • Vatsan: very true. i think hunger produces some neurotoxins which makes us go cranky!!

    --..--..--

    Aparna: adhey adhey!

    By Blogger tt_giant, at August 27, 2005 7:39 AM  

  • Slash: Add this to another one my self-deprecating been-there-done-that statements!..

    --..--..--

    Siddharth: I am living the "dream" man!..;-)

    By Blogger tt_giant, at August 27, 2005 7:42 AM  

  • ada da, take it easy man. after all kids.

    By Blogger saranyan r, at August 28, 2005 6:19 PM  

  • heh !! could have done something like what Maverick said.

    By Blogger KRTY, at August 30, 2005 8:00 AM  

  • Deepak, kya hua? No new post?

    By Blogger Krish, at August 30, 2005 9:13 AM  

  • Saranyan: yea.. mannipom, marappom..

    --..--..--

    Keerthi: hindsight is 20/20. :-).. but will try to keep it in mind.

    --..--..--

    Thennavan: One in the oven. Will post it later today.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at August 30, 2005 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home