An Owl's 2 hoots

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Nizhalinn arumai

Time and again, I am being proved that I am just an ordinary human - various bulbs, lessons in humilty... the list goes on and on. This time, however was my state of helplessness due to my dependency on a thing as materialistic as a cell phone.

While I was gloating about my relief on how I escaped the hurricane, I failed to look beyond my one-dimensional view. Seems that the winds knocked some telecommunications towers of my service provider (T-Mobile) elsewhere and I am being affected by that. In fact, I did'nt even know that I was affected until my cell phone mysteriously glowed by itself. Little did I know that it was happening when someone was calling. But here was (is) the weird thing - I can make calls, just not recieve them. My friend KR who lives in Minnesota usually calls me multiple times during the weekend. Now, I always kalaasify this guy since his phone coverage is bad in his residence. Now it was his turn to turn up the heat. Oh my, what a dose I got from him!. Nizhaloda arumai veyyil la dhaan therium. I don't remember being so isolated in the recent past.

So, I called customer support. Apart being put on hold for eons, the voice recording was adding insult to injury by saying "Now that your complaint has been logged, you can hang up and we will call you right back...". Nondhuttein. They must have restored the service partially, since today it seemed to work most of the time, but one of my colleagues said it did not ring when he called me.

Lessons learnt: I realized some subtle things: I was the same person 2 years ago, when I did not yet have a cell phone. I did not care about it, in fact, even the land line which we shared in the apartment was rarely used for talking (only surfing). Apidi irundhavan, pudhusu pudhusaa yedhuko pazhakkam aagi.. tholla thaangala.

My brother used to read 'Autobiography of a Yogi' and such books and used to tell me: You got to be attached to the un-attached. I used to tell him - "ennada solra?. poi rasam saadham saapudu".

Ippo puriyudhu....

Aaaga mothathula nalla paadam enakku.

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • US'la erundhuttu innum ennalam kashta pada poromnu theriyalla...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 12, 2005 10:09 PM  

  • yup cell phone's have become an integral part of our lives...i guess after the wheel it is man's greatest invention...like valli wrote in a song..."cell phongalai marandavar vendum"...anal yengal ala mudiyalaee...

    By Blogger Siddharth, at July 13, 2005 4:17 AM  

  • true, Deepak.. watch out for Emily... Probably another first, two consecutive named storms turning into hurricanes!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 13, 2005 8:03 AM  

  • Srini: is'nt it weird to think about the path not taken? 12b padathula varra maari.. alternate universe poittu vandha nalla irukkum..

    Siddharth: goes to prove we cannot live without talking.. as thalivar put it atply in baasha: "indian aachey!".

    GP: Thanks man. Emily.. ippodhaiku it seems to be heading towards Central America.. paapom..

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 13, 2005 8:43 AM  

  • Cell phone OK..cell phone usage tax paarthale BP eguruthu !!

    Hmm...

    By Blogger Adaengappa !!, at July 13, 2005 3:06 PM  

  • Yeah...I agree....! We have become slaves to so many things without our knowledge.! ( sometimes with 100% knowledge)..

    For example - If I don't send a message / email in Yahoo....my moms worries about me..!! Same here if she doesn't come online for a few days.!

    I am glad you escaped Dennis ...Watch out for Emily though.! Good luck Floridans.!

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at July 13, 2005 4:47 PM  

  • Adengappa: yea. tax paathaley aathrama varudhu.. i hope t-mobile would do some kind of compensation.. bill kattalainna mattum fine poduvaanga.. tholla thaangala..

    Narayanan: emily varaadhu nu nanaikaren.. it has gone far too south..I admire your mom's interest and dedication in learning to use the computer. so many sacrifices and things which parents do for us.!!

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 13, 2005 5:32 PM  

  • "Apidi irundhavan, pudhusu pudhusaa yedhuko pazhakkam aagi.. tholla thaangala...."

    Is Blogging (valaip pathivu) also in the above list of new habits?

    By Blogger Ram C, at July 13, 2005 6:45 PM  

  • Ram: he hee.. illa. i believe that communication (either in blogging, or sorpozhivaatral or kutti-suvar-vetti-pechu) is always unchangeable. To re-iterate thalaivar's dialog.. "indian aache!".

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 13, 2005 6:53 PM  

  • cell pone is become an integra l part of our lives.i wonder if we r becoming slaves to technology. oru kaatuilla poi communicationa illama oru 3 masam nambulala vazha mudiyuma?

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at July 13, 2005 8:27 PM  

  • vatsan: 3 maasama.. chancey illa.. i read somewhere that people in new york talk more in cell phones than face to face.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 13, 2005 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home