An Owl's 2 hoots

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Four years here

Today - July 26th 2005 marks the 4th anniversary of my stay in the US. I have learnt a lot of things (and am still learning) in my stay here. This post is a reflection of the past 4 years (just the highlights)- most of which were spent as a student. It could be a long post (I may be amused to read it after a few more years), so bear with me.

Defining moments (2001-2005):

1. Got an admission for MS in Arizona State University with no assistantship. No idea about courses.

2. Experienced a sinking feeling (in more than one sense) when the plane took off from Madras. Reached Frankfurt. Some guy was calling his parents in Madras. Gave him my home number to inform them through his parents. He did'nt even bother.

3. Reached Phoenix on the same day I started from India (!!). Senior had come to pick me up. Blast of hot air (dry heat!) hit me on the face outside the airport- Welcome To USA!.

4. Senior said he had some rice and buttermilk. Ate them hungrily. Crazy jet-lag. Did not know when I fell asleep. Rudely awoken by the song - "Mudhal kanave (majnu)" from the music system in full volume by senior's roomie. Realized that its every man for himself here.

5. Went to Comp. Science senior to ask him about what courses to take. Was planning on taking all courses that ended with NETWORKS (Computer Networks, Advanced Computer Networks, Wireless Networks, Broadband Networks, etc.), since most of us were planning to take it. He asked me to identify my area of interest. ???!!?

6. Several things to do: SSN office, apartment search, FEES, course registration, etc. etc. One of the guys who would be my roomie was feeling home-sick and wanted to go back to India!.

7. Another senior took me to a trekking trip nearby. Saw an original diamondback rattle snake on the trail.

8. Mistakes galore: misplaced my passport, BE transcripts, etc. in the registrar's office. Panicked for hours before I got them back. Registered for a horrible, horrible course (biggest mistake in my life, till now); at the same time, also registered for the course which would pave the life for me from then on. Little did I realize it then.

9. No assistanship; no hourly job yet; worst!. Took the TA test and passed it. Was included in the pile of applications. Got an hourly job as an usher/ticket collector in a NFL stadium. Sustainance was possible!. Learnt that no job is less; learnt to give respect to all. FIRST EYE OPENER.

10. September 11 - bang!. I was going to the lab of the god-forsaken course which I had taken. Saw some commotion with people watching TV. Thought it was a movie. Terrible day!!

11. Too many things happening at the same time. Got selected in the first round of a summer internship job. Had to go to Denver for the second round interview. Thought I did well. Came back and saw an email.. "Dear Mr., Although your qualifications.... ". I did'nt have to read it any more. Bulb!. FIRST MAJOR FAILURE. Devastated.

12. Somehow completed the final exams. Yet to find an area of interest. Yet to find an assistantship. Where is that "Land of Milk and Honey"?.

13. Out of the blue, there was an opening for an RA in Data Mining for a person with background in Image Processing and Analysis. Was asked by the professor to do some preliminary work for him to decide. Had never worked harder during that december, yet the prof. was killing my works. Like a rubber ball, was bounced again and again. This was it!. Finally, the prof. said, "I like your resilience.. you can join me". Oh, how happy was that day!.

14. Started learning things; realized that I had done a good thing choosing that course; identified my area of interest. 2 semesters go as a flash.

15. My first paper!.

16. Got introduced to a research lab in Phoenix through the University. They were requiring someone with my background.

17. India trip - after 1.5 years. Nice 30 days.

18. Back. Continued research work and courses. Revisited the Phoenix research lab who said they were willing to offer a summer internship.

19. After a few tense weeks, got the internship. Nice environment and ideal atmosphere for widening my works. More papers.

20. Expected the lab to take me in for full time; unfortunately a grant was cancelled. Bulb!. Another low point.

21. At the same time had to finish thesis. Applied for OPT (a.ka. time bomb!). Started applying for jobs side-by-side. Worst period for US economy.

22. Graduated at the end of 2003!. Felt so relieved!. My PG!!

23. Approached by a research lab in Florida since I had some experience working with biologists. Had to wait for 1 month to get things going. At last!, offerred a research assoc. post!

24. Leaving Arizona after 2.5 years. Different experience in Florida since I would living alone.

25. Applied for H1B, and got it in June. More papers.

26. Parents visited me in Dec. 2004.

26. Been almost 1.5 years after coming to Florida.

27. Going on.

Some unforgettable incidents:

Some exciting events during my stay here:

1. Encounter with a full grown alligator: Happened at the Everglades National Forest, FL. Had been canoeing with 2 other friends. Right after we started, the canoe went out of control and drifted towards the opposite bank - straight to a 12-foot alligator. I was at the front end. Thud!. Pure and raw fear; a certain slaughter in the making. People were shouting at us to get back!. Thats easier said than done. Somehow used our oars to come back a bit. But not for long!, went again and hit the guy again smack on the torso!. I thought I was finished already!. Luckily he was not impressed with us and ignored us!. Whewww!!. We were out barely for 50 feet from the renting station. Returned the canoe back and packed up. Great escape!.

2. Sky diving: In Florida; 12,000 feet tandem-jump. Jumped from the plane with the instructor; 60 seconds of free-fall at 120 Mph; then 6 minutes of parachuting. Awesome experience!.

3. Big Hurricane season 2004: Lots of storms; lots of wind power.

A big learning experience altogether. Lot of highs and lows. But on an average, it has been good. I don't know how long I would be staying here. No plans made; just taking life as it comes. Right from the course which I took in the first semester, till now, everything seems to be connected somehow. So, lets see how it goes from here.

Labels:

27 Comments:

  • Nice Malarum Ninaivugal, Deepak.. I had a similar idea of highlighting my last 10 years.. but, no patience and time..

    The Everglades incident was hair-raising.. Anytime in Gatorland..

    By Blogger Raju, at July 26, 2005 9:03 AM  

  • GP: Thanks man. 10 years is a long time, i agree. But you can jot down the most memorable ones.

    Everglades.. yea.. after that incident, I am more careful when I canoe now. All in the game!

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 26, 2005 9:15 AM  

  • Beautifull post TTG. Ya UR aligator exp was something. Like UR proflie pix. What is that tree??

    By Blogger pk, at July 26, 2005 9:54 AM  

  • Kaleidoscope: Thanks!. This "tree" is the tree-of-life which featured in the Lion King movie. Its a man made tree (set) which is kept in the Animal Kingdom theme park. On closer examination, one could find hundreds of animals and insects carved out in the tree.

    Check this for info abt it: http://allearsnet.com/tp/ak/ak_tol.htm

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 26, 2005 10:45 AM  

  • Thanks for the links. Its awesome, love the carvings on the tree.

    By Blogger pk, at July 26, 2005 1:24 PM  

  • Keep it going..We learn a lot with all these experinces. Sure makes you a stronger person

    By Blogger AF, at July 26, 2005 3:36 PM  

  • Well.....Good for you

    By Blogger Surya, at July 26, 2005 4:54 PM  

  • Kaleidoscope: You are welcome.

    AF: Thanks for visiting my blog. Yea, everything is a learning process

    Surya: thanks man. whats up? no new posts?

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 26, 2005 5:30 PM  

  • First, Good Luck to you for a bright future. You deserve every bit of it.

    Nice way of itemising all your adventures in the US.!!

    Boy..I am nowhere near what you've gone thru ...other than....when I first landed...the first day...the so called room mates..had nothing left for me to eat.!! only some fruits.!! God...can't forget that.!

    Scary - Alligator, thrilling - Para Jumping.! I won't be able to handle both of them.! I can't even handle roller coasters.!!

    But..But....I am married with 2 kids.! Life has taught me a big lesson ....and ...US has taught me a lot too.! I see changes every day, in my approaches, my wife, my kids...and life overall.!!! especially since my kids are growing up here.!

    Good luck again.!!

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at July 26, 2005 5:53 PM  

  • Narayanan: Thanks a lot for your wishes!. Yea, the outlook definitely changes isnt'it?.

    naan pannadhellam kuruttu dhairiyathula!.. donno if i would do the same in, say, 5 years. You are seeing the real deal every day - family and commitments, of which I have no idea. brrr..
    Thanks again!.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 26, 2005 6:00 PM  

  • waw ! this should be great moments. Like a life full of events..huh !

    as i used to say, Happiness is memory. think you are happy now.

    By Blogger KRTY, at July 26, 2005 6:14 PM  

  • Keerthi: thanks man. yea, just the good ones in memory..

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 26, 2005 7:55 PM  

  • nice post TTG,

    did u stay in a hostel? if din this ll also be 4th yr of living alone rite?

    mudhalai incident was sure scary, annal wud have been fun. (dont comment on my sense of humour)

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at July 27, 2005 3:39 AM  

  • Vatsan: hostel illa.. in an apartment with 2/3 other roomies. student life la thaniyaa thanginaa bondi thaan..

    you know what.. when i saw that alligator at close quarters, the first thought I had was.. "where is my camera". So, its ok, laugh it off..

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 27, 2005 6:07 AM  

  • Very nice post tt. Its always good to recollect the memories. Alligator encounter was thrilling. Good luck and best wishes. Makes me feel I should write my 5 yrs on my post.

    By Blogger Kasthuri, at July 27, 2005 6:09 AM  

  • Srini: Thanks man. Yea, you should write about it too. It would be nice to look back after a few more years.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 27, 2005 7:16 AM  

  • Nice Post..Best wishes in all your endeavors !!

    By Blogger Adaengappa !!, at July 27, 2005 4:48 PM  

  • WHEW!
    Some of the events reminded me of mama! I had a similar experience when I first came in the first two years were hell! I am happy now for things seemingly are better... wonder what tomorrow holds in store.

    By Blogger Robbie, at July 27, 2005 5:10 PM  

  • Adengappa: Thanks man.

    Robbie: Welcome. Things would progress well. No doubt.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 27, 2005 5:34 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Phoenix, at July 27, 2005 10:09 PM  

  • Great post....
    and if you look back the struggle is what would have made you a better person...(at least so is the case with me)...it is z been a while since i came here and my experiences are more like yours working in the library struggling for assitanships...but it in the end it the struggle which has made my stay an enriching experience..

    By Blogger Phoenix, at July 27, 2005 10:11 PM  

  • Phoenix: welcome back. yea, maybe what i have posted reflects most (if not all) of us guys coming here to study. glad that things are better now and are working out.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 28, 2005 7:39 AM  

  • Congratulations on your successful 4 yrs and best wishes for a great future!

    By Blogger Me too, at July 28, 2005 7:40 PM  

  • Deepak, good post summarizing all your experiences over here. I went thru almost every conceivable experience in the US (of course not sky-diving or alligator encounters :-) but close encounters of a different kind like being mugged, stranded on I-95 etc.) I guess if many of us compile a volume of our US experiences, it could become a megahit bestseller :-)

    By Blogger Krish, at July 28, 2005 8:12 PM  

  • Me too: Thanks! and Welcome!

    Thennavan: Welcome back!. sudden break eduthu blogosphere machinery la wrench a pottuteengale?.

    mugging.. fortunately that has happened. "pana mudhaliagal" kittarendhu neenga thappika enna technique use panringa?
    i heard DC is a very rough area.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at July 29, 2005 6:02 AM  

  • Nice post... am still in the phase of searching for a job...whew...wish i get settled soon and write a post like you ;)

    thanks for visiting my blog
    tata
    sukku

    By Blogger cutefreaky, at August 10, 2005 9:45 AM  

  • Sukhanya: Thanks!, and all the best for your job search.

    By Blogger tt_giant, at August 10, 2005 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home